09 September 2013

Caldereta / Thai Curry

Hubby had Goulash when we went to Prague and it reminded me of Caldereta. I haven't cooked it in a while and last week I decided to make some. Didn't have complete ingredients so I just made what I had. 

This is my version. I browned the beef chunks in olive oil, added minced garlic, chopped onions, a can of diced tomatoes, bay leaves, chili flakes (optional) and seasoned with salt and pepper then cooked until vegetables are soft. Poured just enough water to cook the meat until it boiled, covered the pot and simmered it down to low heat while I stirred it occasionally for an hour or so. When the meat was fork tender, I added chunks of carrots, sliced bell peppers, sliced black olives and green peas with spoonfuls of peanut butter and Speculoos spread. Yes, you read it right, S-p-e-c-u-l-o-o-s! Adjusted the seasonings, cooked for about 15 more minutes and caldereta was ready! 

Spicy caldereta with Speculoos spread :)

Hubby came home with an empty container, must've liked it that much ha! I actually like this dish after the flavor marries overnight. 



Another hubby's favorite is Thai curry, made it the next day for his lunch. I always keep chicken fillets in the freezer for easy and quick recipes. 

For this dish, I sauteed red curry paste in heated oil until aromatic, added sliced onions, bird's eye chilis (optional, we like spicy food), sliced chicken then poured a can of coconut milk, some water and waited for it to boil. Added carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, fish sauce,  and sugar while I adjusted the taste. Cooked it until vegetables are soft then off it went to hubby's lunch box and some for me.

Thai red curry





It has been a good week, looking forward to another one coming.




Until next time. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment