16 September 2013

Living in Deutschland

It's been a year since we moved here, time flew fast that hubby and I are already thinking of extending few more years just so we can stretch our overseas assignment. When I first got here, I thought everything will be difficult because of language barrier, good thing I attended the spouses' orientation and learned some important details on how to live with the German community. 

Now here's some of the things I like about living here:

* Travel - perfect place to start exploring Europe. Easy access to other countries which I love!

* Wine - wines are everywhere! For a while there we were addicted to drinking wine every night ha! One of my favorite is Eiswein, sweet and delicious!

* Christmas market - it is one of the must-try experience while living here not to mention the food sold on the streets! 

* Bread - love how their bread is always fresh, my favorite is butter croissant and nutella croissant from Wasgau :)

* Clean neighborhood  - there's a lot of older people living in my village but despite of their ages they still manage to keep their surroundings clean - all the time. You can actually tell a house with Americans living in it and a house with Germans :) 

* Orderliness - Germans like their quiet time. No mowing the yard between 1pm - 3 pm as it is their 'siesta'. I like how they are big on recycling too. If your trash bag doesn't contain what it's supposed to have, they won't pick it up. 

* Pastries / Chocolates - cakes are not too sweet which I like. Chocolates (Kinder, Goufrais just to name a few)  are sinfully good! :)

* Autobahn - who doesn't love driving fast without speed limit? I see cars flying all the time when driving on this road. Hubby can only wish he has his Shelby here ha!


Then we go to dislikes:

* Shopping hours - most of the stores open at 10am and closes at 6 or 7pm Monday to Saturday and everything is close on Sunday, the same goes for grocery stores.

* WC (Water Closet) - had to pay €.70 just to go to the restroom when traveling

* Water - a glass of water is more expensive than a glass of beer. Too bad I don't like beer that much.

* Parking space / roads - the space of two-way roads here is only a one-way road in the US. Parking can be difficult a lot of times because of how small the spaces are and it doesn't help either when they park on a small street side by side. This is the downside of having a big vehicle compared to their small ones. 

* Everything is closed on Sunday - the only place we can go is on base at the BX either watching a movie or walking around, otherwise it's good to just stay at home. You can get a fine if you mow or if you have a party and it's noisy they can call the cops on you. Pretty much Sunday is rest day. 


So far these are what I'm currently experiencing, I'm sure there are still things I didn't cover but I actually don't mind staying for few years. To be honest, I like it here! :)




Until next time. Cheers! 




No comments:

Post a Comment