13 February 2014

Weekend Getaway: Munich, Germany

We had a last minute travel plans last MLK weekend and ended in Munich, 4 hours away from our place. We didn't get the chance to explore Munich as our time was limited and everything is closed on Sunday so that took away 1 day out of the 3 days we were there, the only open place we can go was Dachau Concentration Camp.

I thought this camp was just one of those tourist attractions where you look around and know about the place, I was wrong. Upon entering the gate I felt eerie, maybe because of the thought that thousands of prisoners died there. I just can't imagine the kind of suffering they went through while they were imprisoned. 

Camp outline 








Spot where they hung and shot the prisoners
Prisoners' barracks






The living and sleeping quarters. After 1942, the prison compound had at least 12,000 prisoners who had to live in the barracks designed for 5,000 men.



After reading and seeing the pictures of what happened in the camp, we left the place and I, had a heavy heart. It was an experience I'll never forget. I still get goosebumps while writing this. 

That Sunday night after visiting the camp, we passed by an area while looking for the restaurant where we made reservation, it was Michael Jackson's memorial site.

Germans love him! :)

Then it was time to eat. I ordered set menu of grilled chicken and minced meat (my favorite) a side of basmati rice, doogh (yogurt, water & mint) for my drink and baklava for dessert. 

Persian food craving at Restaurant Shandiz





The next day hubby and I went to the shopping area and I had to stop by at Mango & Zara. I just had to, the stores were screaming 40-60% off winter sale! I ended up getting a skirt and a shirt far from being wintry. *rolls eye*




Until next time. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment