04 May 2014

Sunday Dinner Express

While hubby was taking a nap after being called at 0640 this morning to report for work which turned out to be hours of monitoring Airmen to do mass drug test, I started getting dinner ready. I already cooked quinoa ahead of time so I only had to slice the ingredients for my Mediterranean Quinoa salad. After making the salad I prepared the marinade for korean BBQ ribs (Filipino style marinade) and while it was marinating I went ahead and took a long nice shower. When he woke up I asked him to get the grill ready while I made the dessert - mango and sticky rice with pandan extract.


15 minutes later, we were ready to eat! What I love about quinoa rice is it's so light and it's good with anything. Between couscous and quinoa, I like the latter better. It took me two weeks to get this rice because our commissary was always out and when they have it there's not much left but few boxes. I actually need to get my supply as I'm almost out. 


Easy and delicious dinner in no time!


Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, Korean BBQ ribs and sticky rice with mango



To make:

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Cook the rice according to package instruction. Let cool when done and set aside. Meanwhile, dice 1 peeled cucumber,  1 pack cherry tomatoes, 1 red onion and slice olives (I used kalamata but you can use any olives you like). Transfer the rice to a bowl and pour the salad ingredients. Squeeze half of a lemon, drizzle with olive oil, dash of salt and pepper then top with feta cheese. Adjust seasoning if needed and you're done! Easy right? :)


Mango and sticky rice

In a pot, put 1 cup of glutinous rice and pour a cup of water. Let it soak for at least 30 minutes. Turn the stove on and pour 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 coconut milk. Stir and let it boil. Once boiling, turn the stove on low and let the rice cook until all the liquid is absorbed about 15 minutes. I put few drops of pandan extract at this point, this is optional. Slice the mango however you like it. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/2 a cup of coconut milk, 1/2 a cup of white sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt. When the rice is done, pour half of the coconut sauce into the pot of rice and stir then pour the rest, give it another stir until fully incorporated. If you want the coconut sauce on the side, don't pour it over the rice. Arrange the mango and rice in a plate, sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds and serve.




Until next time. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment